Thursday, November 17, 2016

Film Review - Arrival (2016)

Arrival is directed by Denis Villenuve and stars Amy Adams as Louise, a linguist who is recruited by Colonel Weber (Forest Whitaker) to help decipher a mysterious spacecraft that has landed in 12 areas around the world but humanity may not take kindly to these visitors who some might see as unwelcome.

I was very mixed on this movie but on a purely filmmaking level I thought that it was very handsomely put together Villenuve did a very good job with his direction, the visuals, cinematography and editing were all very nice and Amy Adams was terrific in this movie and pretty much steals the show from Whitaker and Jeremy Renner who were both okay in their roles but Adams was far superior and it is certainly nice to see her back in a good role again as it's been a fair while.

But the films story I have to say didn't really do much for me and I don't want to go too heavily into that point as it will show some pretty big spoilers but myself having been a big fan of Star Trek Deep Space Nine and having seen that series from beginning to end I felt that a lot of the story points, plot reveals and character twists felt very similar to what happens in that series and as a result I began to think that it got a bit predictable especially towards the end.

And so that was Arrival which was handsomely made and Adams is great but as a DS9 fan its story didn't do an awful lot for me, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: