Saturday, December 26, 2015

Film Review - Joy (2015)

Joy is directed by David O Russell and stars Jennifer Lawrence as Joy a woman who is in debt with 2 young children and a divorce (Edgar Ramirez) whilst looking after her father (Robert De Niro) at the same time but one day whilst out with her father's partner (Isabella Rossellini) she cuts herself whilst mopping up the mess so she comes on an idea for what would become the Miracle Mop.

Joy is very good and I mean really very good so much so that I wish I had seen it before finalising my favorites of the year as this would easily have knocked Minions from the list (which I also loved despite its straight forward nature) as for the first time in what seems like months I actually got to go to the cinema and feel like an adult movie goer again.

The films story was very well told despite bordering on being serious as well as funny (the film has a very strange and off the wall sense of humour that will be hard for some to connect to) but I liked the melding of the two tones and feel that O Russell did a good job handling the transitions between them, he also has a very good cast in Ramirez who I just refuse to buy as Bodhi in the new Point Break but is pretty good here as is De Niro, Rossellini and Bradley Cooper who makes a very welcome return to form after his poor work in Aloha.

But this movie rests on the shoulders of Lawrence and she makes the most of every scene she shares, so good is she in this film that you don't notice the 2 hours going by, she is confident, she is vulnerable and I thought to myself when this was over "Is there anything she can't do" I'm sure that there is but I don't know if I've seen that happen just yet.

And so that was Joy which has to be one of my favorite films of 2015 and I very highly recommend you go and see it, 4 out of 5.

No comments: