Thursday, November 21, 2013

Film Review - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

Following the events of the first Hunger Games film, this sequel finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) back in her home District but her actions have inspired humanity to fight back, something she witnesses during her victor's tour but hearts on fire carry strong desires and rage deep within where no pain (No Pain) can be found.

I went into Catching Fire with very mixed expectations as I was not a huge fan of the first film in the series but an attractive preview plus my own adoration of Jennifer Lawrence pushed me over the edge to go and give this film a look despite being constantly reminded of the Arnold Schwarzenegger film The Running Man.

But those fears are now unfounded in fact as I really enjoyed this 2nd film in the series and would rate it much higher than I would the first one, everything in this movie feels more refined, the world feels less showy as it did in the first film and the actors feel a lot more comfortable in their roles.

The first one I have to mention is Lawrence herself, she is completely captivating this time around even though I thought she was pretty good last time but here she holds your attention the entire time she's on screen and there are times where I just wanted to give her a cuddle and reassure her that it will all be okay, I also thought Phillip Seymour Hoffman was very good as well in his role and I also liked Donald Sutherland who has a much larger role here than he did in the first film though there were times where I couldn't help but think of his role on the Simpsons where he was the curator of the Jebediah Springfield Museum.

I do however have one complaint and that is that the film is a little too long, a good 10-15 minutes could've been cut out of this film and you would not have missed them all that much, I'm getting a little fed up with movies that go to a 2 and a half hour length for no good reason, what is wrong with a big film being 90-130 minutes long, anything beyond that just feels a waste of screen time as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah despite that one quibble I quite liked Catching Fire and would happily recommend it for all Hearts on Fire who might say to themselves "Katniss, KATNISS, KATNISSSSSS" beforehand, 3 out of 5.

No comments: