Friday, June 21, 2013

Film Review - After Earth (2013)

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan from a story by its star Will Smith, After Earth concerns Smith and his son Jaden as a father and son of the future 1000 years after humanity abandoned Earth but whilst on route to another planet they crash land on the deserted planet, where humans are not the dominant species but the dominant snack treat.

I really don't know where to begin with this movie so I'll start with the two main positives the first is the location photography, it's very very nice with all the caves and waterfalls and plants and cliffs, I was believing that I was really there facing these dangers.

The other has nothing at all to do with the film and that was seeing the trailers for "Pacific Rim" and "Man of Steel" on the big screen, Rim in particular looked very cool on the big screen and I can't wait to see it.

As for the film well, it's a disaster straight up from start to finish, nothing in it works and nothing much goes on at all, Smith Snr does nothing apart from sit around on what was most likely a soundstage set and act as wooden as a pine forest while Smith Jnr is the one that is forced to carry the film and I'm sorry he has the charisma of a wet blanket as his acting is not that much better and during a big emotional moment I just started laughing as it just didn't carry any conviction.

That said though I don't think this is entirely Shyamalan's fault, he's most likely acting under orders from Smith who's story this was and who is also one of the film's producers and his feet also has to be held to the fire for this as this was clearly his baby and that Shyamalan was his hired gun, no doubt due to his last couple of pictures being flops and was wanting the work, hey the man's gotta eat so I don't blame him entirely for this disaster, Smith has to share some of it as well.

And so with that, I cannot recommend After Earth as it has nothing going for it and it makes me a little sad to say that given how much of a Sci-Fi fan I am and we've had very little of them recently, needless to say the recent Oblivion with Tom Cruise looks like the Star Wars Trilogy compared to this, 0 out of 5.

No comments: