Saturday, December 10, 2011

Film Review - Hanna (2011)


Hanna stars Saoirse Ronan as Hanna, a young girl who grows up with her forest with her father played by Eric Bana who is training her for a great quest to Berlin, but to do so she'll have to avoid the dastardly Marissa played by Cate Blanchett.

Hanna I thought was well made by Joe Wright, last seen directing Atonement in 2007, he imbues the film with a great sense of style and a good pace, never letting things run on for too long, he also gets good performances from his 3 leads and there's a fantastic score created by the Chemical Brothers.

However this film has one big problem: The Script, quite frankly it feels predictable and that infects the film as a whole as you play spot the plot point throughout the whole thing; "That's gonna happen", "this is gonna happen", "Bang they're dead", "that person's gonna die", "they're gonna die" and on and on it goes.

There was one point while watching this movie where I was reminded of another Euro action thriller I've seen, 2008's Taken with Liam Neeson, that film to me felt far superior to this one and its a shame as I'd heard so much good about it before watching it.

All in all, I can't recommend this movie, all the style in the world can't make up for an obvious script that just feels too familiar for my taste, 1 out of 5.

No comments: