Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Film Review - Sanctum (2010)


Sanctum is an underwater thriller produced by James Cameron and concerns a team of cave divers who are going down a cave in Papua New Guinea when they are caught in a cyclone and trapped underground, so the team has to find their way out, by going down.

This review for the most part will concern both the 3D experience and the film as a whole, first off I'll start with the 3D and boy was it AMAZING, really a great experience which envelopes the viewer and at times, makes you really feel like you're struggling for air, there were times where I was literally holding my breath it was that good, so good in fact that after the film, I felt like I still had water in my lungs (I didn't really) and if there was an Oxygen tank nearby, I would have ran for it, anyone watching this on Blu-Ray will really be missing out.

But what about the movie as a whole, well sadly it isn't up to the 3D effect, probably because the 3D was probably supervised mainly by Cameron whereas Alistair Grierson directed the film itself and I have to say that it really feels like an amateur effort compared to a veteran like Cameron, in fact if Cameron himself had the chance to direct this film, I think it would have been so much more than it is in terms of the claustrophobia, tension and characterization.

As I write this, Sanctum is on it's way out of cinemas and in a way it's a shame as you really do get a proper cinema experience seeing it in one, it's just a pity that Cameron couldn't be persuaded to direct the film himself, as Grierson and Co. make it look like an amateur's job, but hey the 3D experience made it worth the wait so a 3 out of 5 for Sanctum.

No comments: