Thursday, December 16, 2010

1 Year Today...

Yes folks, It was 1 year ago today that James Cameron's Avatar first hit cinema screens and took us all on a journey to the distant world of Pandora, which was full of great wonders and mysterious dangers.

It was this day that I also remember very well, it was a grey and wet day and I had made the journey to my regular cinema, eager and ready to see what director James Cameron had up his sleeve following a 12 year absence since creating his other mammoth blockbuster, the 1997 historical love story Titanic, also having devoured the film's main 3 and a half minute trailer as much as I could.

This showing wasn't in 3D, just the regular but frankly I didn't care all that much, I was eager to see it, the people cued up, we all went in, took our seats and the movie did it's thing.

About 3 hours later, give or take 15-20 minutes for the various adverts and previews to run their course, I came out of the movie mesmerized, no doubts rested in my mind that Cameron had pulled it off, defying his critics and creating something that had to be seen to be believed, which they did as the movie stormed the box office and created a success which has fundamentally changed the nature of box office success, surpassing Titanic and becoming the highest grossing film of all time, a success story like this I don't think we will see for a very long time.

And yet, as I type this, it's already been 1 year since that film was first released and another year of movies has come and gone for the most part as well as a deluxe special edition release of the film on DVD and Blu-Ray, did I like any of the movies from this year as much as this one, well you'll just have to wait and see for that answer.

No comments: