Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Film Review - Misery (1990)

Misery was first released in 1990 and stars James Caan as a novelist named Paul Sheldon who has just finished the book that will kill off his character named Misery Chastain, after getting into a car accident he is rescued by a former nurse named Annie Wilkes played very well by Kathy Bates, but there is more to her than meets the eye.


So what did I think of Misery, well to be honest I thought the film was very bizarre and a little sick in places, I couldn’t help but think that the movie degenerated into a sick and twisted love story between the characters played by Caan and Bates and there is also no clear indication in the film as to exactly why Wilkes keeps Sheldon in her home and because of this I couldn’t help but feel that the movie went along the direction it did.


But I didn’t think that badly of it, I really enjoyed the performances by Caan and Bates as well as the supporting performances by screen legend Lauren Bacall as Sheldon’s editor and Richard Farnsworth as the town sheriff, I also enjoyed the photography by Barry Sonnenfeld who would later become a director, these I helped elevate the film.


Out of 5, I will give this a 3, it has some good performances but the story is too unsure of itself.

No comments: